25 Jun Home Watch Tip: SNOWBIRDS! SUMMER CHECKLIST FOR LEAVING YOUR FLORIDA HOME
Posted at 15:25h in Home Watch Tips
Reprinted from plumbingexperts.com
Snowbirds! Getting ready to travel back up north for the summer? To keep your Florida residence in great condition while you’re gone, it’s time to checkoff a few housekeeping items before you head out.
Here’s a list of a few tasks to best prepare your home for an extended leave.
Plumbing Maintenance Tasks:
- Check your plumbing system for leaks. Look out for wet spots/water marks in your kitchen, bathroom and laundry areas.
- Turn off water valves to sinks, toilets, washing machine and dishwasher.
- Turn off the breaker for the hot water heater.
- Cover toilet bowls, toilet tanks, and sinks with plastic wrap to prevent water evaporating.
- Ensure the washing machine is drained completely to prevent mold growth.
- Ensure your air conditioner is functioning and replace the air filter/clean your permanent filter. It is recommended to set your thermostat at 85 degrees while gone.
- Have a professional flush out your air conditioner condensation line or service the air conditioner if needed.
- Set your humidity controller to 50-60%.
General Housekeeping Tasks:
- Clean food items from the refrigerator and pantry. Turn off your refrigerator, ensuring the icemaker water supply is turned off, and prop the door open. Wipe down all kitchen appliances.
- Unplug TV, internet cables, DVD player, power strips, etc.
- Inspect your roof for damage and ensure there are no leaks.
- Determine if you will need pest-control while away.
- Ensure your alarm system is armed and check that all doors and windows are locked properly.
- Notify your close friends/neighbors and, if you live in a community, notify management of your departure and when you plan to be back.
- Bring a list of important phone numbers.
Need a Home Watch Service in Dunedin?Contact Us